A smart home doesn’t have to mean Rosie the Robot doing your dishes and laundry. Back on Earth, one of the most impactful ways to begin is to purchase a smart thermostat. Here are what the programmable thermostat reviews are saying.
Why A Smart Thermostat?
Saving tons on your electric bill is the most common plus you’ll read about in the reviews. In addition, the convenience of scheduling your programmable thermostat for your lifestyle is generally highlighted as an important factor. The difference is how and how well they know your preferences, whether it’s through sensors (single or multiple), GPS coordinates or programming only.
The Best Smart Thermostat
At the basic level, all smart thermostats perform the common task of keeping your home at your desired temperature for energy efficiency and convenience. Here are some programmable thermostat frontrunners:
Ecobee3 Wi-Fi Thermostat with Remote Sensor
- Creates “energy profile” based on local climate and home characteristics
- Multiple sensors throughout home for room-to-room preferences
- User-friendly and easy installation (if AC has C wire)
Ideal for: Those comfortable doing DIY work if their AC system lacks a C wire. Also great for homes with areas that are especially hot or cold.
Honeywell Lyric Thermostat
- Uses GPS to determine when users are approaching the home
- Customizable touch screen, including color display and shortcuts
- Automatic air filter alerts
Ideal for: Those who want to go with brand name recognition and like the idea of the home cooling on their way home.
Home Energy Tips
- Change your air filter at least every three months, more frequently in the summer and winter months.
- Get your HVAC system maintenanced once or twice a year. Consider joining our Preventative Maintenance Partnership.
- Seal heating and cooling ducts or consider a split system (ductless AC).
- Consider equipment with the Energy Star seal of approval.